Friday, June 5, 2009

Another Perspective on This Odd Place

Note: I am not the same person who made the previous blog entry. He is Mark Greenman. I am Arthur Simmons. I am just another one of the people who discovered this Purgatory.

Anyways, I had done close to the exact same things that my friend had done in the previous entry. I was exiting the locker room at a health club to go outside to the pool for a swim party on the last day of school. On the way, I came into a strange dark room with a large pool, smaller hot tub, and lots of other strange objects and very old people doing laps slower than sloths move. Now, for some reason, it immediately occurred to me that I had to be in Purgatory! It was a warm, dark, somewhat peaceful place, but at the same time kind of annoying and a little hard to breathe in, and I wanted to get out of it.

Now, for my religious history: I had never been terribly religious in my life. Sure, I believed in God and tried to follow his ways and everything, but I was definitely not a Bible-toting religious extremist or anything. I did have a Catholic father though, so I knew very well the doctrine of Purgatory. Like the vast majority of modern-day Catholics, I thought it was a doctrine not to be taken entirely literally (i.e. it's not millions of years in a place basically like Hell) and I thought that Medieval Christians using it to gain financial support were definitely doing the wrong thing with it. However, I saw nothing wrong with the teachings of Purgatory as a whole.

So, with two other friends, I found a door that led outside to the pool. When I got outside, I said to one of them, Maxwell, "Hey, that room seemed an awful lot like Purgatory, you know?" He laughed pretty hard (he laughs at most things) and replied, "Yes. It is Purgatory in there."

Now, initially this was just a little joke between some of my friends and me, but we would come back many, many times to this extremely odd, and yet extremely fascinating, place.

No comments:

Post a Comment